How to demonstrate return on Investment with Measurable learning
|“Using eLab greatly expanded our ability to customize a class to Mercer’s needs and provided us with a model going forward for how we can help companies who want more than a standard class.”
- Aaron Chittenden, Business Solutions Consultant, DMACC
DMACC needed to provide enhanced training to Mercer employees.
eLab’s flexible configuration and pricing allows DMACC to offer this training for courses of all lengths, including one day training. They have increased the effectiveness of learning, demonstrated results, and driven higher profitability.
Labyrinth Learning Products and Services
eLab and Microsoft Office Level books.
This case study describes the successful partnership between Des Moines Area Community College and Labyrinth Learning to create a training solution for Mercer, a global consulting firm with 1600 employees in Des Moines, Iowa. This successful program is a model for how to implement training programs that demonstrate return on investment for clients and increase profitability for the training organization.
Download details in the Case Study PDF.
DMACC had successfully used Labyrinth Learning textbooks for many previous programs and was confident that they could fit the training needs, but DMACC had no experience with online testing and homework tools. Julie had heard about Labyrinth’s eLab assessment platform, and she thought it might be a fit. After contacting Jodi Noll, a sales manager at Labyrinth Learning, Julie learned that DMACC could combine comprehensive textbooks with the eLab platform to fulfill the needs for the Mercer training. With eLab, they would be able to create online tests to be taken before and after the course – in a realistic, simulated Microsoft environment. They could choose from pre-established questions and they could create their own. Homework could be assigned, completed and tracked using the tool, and Mercer could view and track student scores anywhere, anytime. In addition, it fit within the budget
DMACC selected Labyrinth Learning as a partner to provide the course content, including comprehensive Excel and Access textbooks and the eLab assessment platform with more than 2000 ready-to-go questions and the capability to deliver measurable results to the client.
The value proposition was to provide highly effective and measurable training that would give Mercer absolute confidence that their investment was returning results. Mercer would have the ability to track employee progress and to review employee test results before, during and after the training, for groups and individuals. DMACC also had the ability to deliver on Mercer’s desire for a mix of live classroom instruction along with online access.
- High learner engagement.
- Homework reinforced the skills students were learning in class and gave students the ability to apply what they were learning.
- Measurable improvement in employee skills. Scores on post-tests were twice as high as scores on pre-tests.
- Clear return on training investment. Even participants who were familiar with Excel or Access learned new skills and improved their scores. Mercer gained noticeable productivity gains with the skill development.
- High client satisfaction. Mercer management and employee participants gave high marks to the training program. When news spread about the effectiveness of the course, demand surged with a waiting list to get into the course.
- High instructor satisfaction. Instructors who were initially reluctant about technology found the tool easy to use and an asset to their teaching.
- High profit per student. With the expanded offering, DMACC was able to command a higher price – and profit – per student.
Read more about how the program was implemented.
Download a copy of the Case Study
"Our employees are able to access online resources when they need it –on-the-job –at times that work best for them. It’s a great way to refresh memories about what was learned in class. eLab enables us to extend the classroom training delivered by our partners at DMACC." - Anne Dirkx, Engagement Leader, Mercer Global Center of Excellence